It might not surprise you to learn that many people would like to remain in their homes as they age. In fact, according to the Federal Housing Administration, close to 90% of all homeowners will want to stay in their homes as they enter their golden years.
While many people want to continue to live in their homes, most people don’t think about the adaptations that can be helpful or even necessary to our health and safety as we age.
To age in place means more than just staying in your home – it means having the ability to do so safely, independently, and comfortably as you get older.
Michael Ritter, Director of Rehabilitation and Physical Therapist at PACE-CNY, conducts in-home safety assessments for seniors. He visits the homes of participants to assess housing conditions. This is done to ensure that their living environment meets their individual care plan needs and is a safe place for them to live comfortably.
Here are 9 tips for aging in place that Ritter uses to ensure your house can be your lifelong home:
- Avoid area rugs and be sure all carpeting is securely fixed to the floor.
- Use a chair or bench in the shower.
- Install grab bars in bathroom — near toilets and inside showers and tubs.
- Use rails on stairs (both sides if possible). Never use area rugs at the top of stairs.
- Replace standard doorknobs with lever handles.
- Replace low toilets with a raised toilet.
- Create a first-floor bedroom and living space.
- Widen doorways to accommodate a walker or wheelchair if it becomes necessary.
- Move laundry room to the main level.
Do you know someone who needs help with daily activities? Do you worry about a loved one at home? PACE-CNY can help you or your loved one to receive the care needed to age in place at home.
With PACE-CNY, you’ll have a team of healthcare professionals working with you and your family to provide your loved ones with the personalized care they need. We offer in-home services that provide an alternative to nursing home placement. Learn more here: https://lorettocny.org/page/livelikeloretta