It’s the most wonderful time of the year! From a cozy cup of hot chocolate by the tree or sharing a meal, many have fond memories of celebrating the holidays with family and friends in their homes throughout their life.
For people who live in an assisted living community, it can be an adjustment to make things feel just as merry as they always have. It is a transition to making your new apartment your home. Luckily, there are many ways to do this, even around the holidays!
Jessica Ouimet, Recreation Therapist at The Bernardine Assisted Living Community, shares tips on how to make the season bright for residents in an assisted living community.
- Decorate the shared spaces – Adding some festive lights, tinsel, or other decor in the areas where everyone frequently gathers, such as an activity room or dining room, can make all the difference. It’s easier to get in the spirit when the room is one step ahead.
- Activities, Activities, Activities! – Jessica stresses the importance of having lots of activities for the residents to participate in throughout the holiday season. There are plenty of festive ideas to try like gingerbread house decorating, caroling, watching classic holiday movies, crafts, and more!
- Involve the residents in decking the halls – While not everyone may choose to decorate their personal spaces, decorating for the holidays is a memory many continue to cherish. That’s why it’s great to involve residents in decorating the building and hanging ornaments on the tree.
- Be there for those who need a little extra cheer – Jessica notes the importance of taking notice of those who may be feeling a little blue around the holidays. If you notice someone may need a little cheer, try your best to spread some. Whether that is bringing a small gift, helping them decorate their space, or simply paying them a visit.
- Make the festivities feel special – At the end of the day, if residents celebrate the holidays at their homes, it should feel special. Whether folks have plans outside of the community or want to stay in, having an option for a formal holiday meal with music, treats, and more is a way to make it feel more like home during the holidays.
While there are many ways to make things merry for folks living in an assisted living community, the fact remains that holidays are not easy for everyone. Many older adults may face the holiday blues, so it is crucial to continue to brighten their days throughout the holidays.
Loretto supports older adults year-round through our engaging activities, innovative technology, and more all year round. Learn more about Loretto’s assisted living communities.