Assisted living offers a safe environment and provides necessary levels of care to seniors wishing to maintain as much independence as possible. It provides a better quality of life for those who no longer feel comfortable living alone.
As we age, our needs change, and residents who currently live in an assisted living community may need a higher level of care. For some folks, this is due to dementia and memory loss. It is crucial to look out for the signs of Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia in your loved ones as they age so that they can continue to receive the proper care they need.
But don’t worry, you aren’t alone – our staff is well-trained to recognize the early signs of dementia and will work with a team to help evaluate residents and determine the appropriate next steps for your loved one.
Here are some of the signs of memory loss that the clinical staff looks for when caring for residents:
- Wandering – A wandering resident may move around aimlessly, get lost more often, and be confused about where they are.
- Difficulty expressing their needs – A person experiencing memory loss will need more people to determine what is going on or what they need.
- Short-term memory loss – This occurs in the early stages of Alzheimer’s Disease. Some signs of short-term memory loss are:
- Misplacing everyday items or thinking that they were stolen
- Missing appointments
- Forgetting to turn off appliances
- Forgetting how to complete simple/familiar tasks
- Increase in falls – Due to decreased cognition and the need for more supervision, a fall is often a telltale sign that your loved one needs a higher level of care.
- Socialization difficulties – Often, as a person develops dementia, they may stop participating in activities or spending time with others.
Residents with memory loss must receive the proper care as soon as possible, as it can help improve their quality of life and provide symptom relief in an environment built for their needs.
The good news is that at Loretto, the transition from one community to another is made easy. Through 19 specialized care programs at Loretto, we provide a complete system of care to address your current needs and adapt to future needs if your situation evolves. As the region’s most advanced provider in memory care, our memory life communities provide specialized services such as recreational programming, innovative and stimulating technology, and more to enhance your loved one’s quality of life and optimize your time together.
Learn more about all of our services: https://lorettocny.org/loretto-life/