Job interviews can be stressful. No matter how excited you are about a potential career opportunity, it’s common to feel nervous about the interview process. However, with planning and a positive outlook, you can prepare yourself to navigate an interview with confidence and impress future employers. Here are five tips to ensure a successful job interview:
- Plan ahead. Prepare as much as possible for the interview beforehand. Visit the company’s website to learn more about their policies and services, review the job listing, and make sure you’re ready to discuss your relevant skills and experience. Print out copies of your resume to bring with you and plan your route to the interview location. You can also practice answering common interview questions with a friend.
- Make a great first impression. On the day of the interview, you want to present yourself as professional, reliable, and friendly. Dress in neat, clean clothing and arrive 10-15 minutes early; this will give you time to introduce yourself, use the restroom, and take a few moments to relax. Turn off your cellphone and leave other items like beverages and headphones behind. Be polite and respectful to any employees you interact with, such as security guards or receptionists – they may be asked to give feedback.
- Listening is key. During the interview, keep your attention on the interviewer. Make eye contact, smile, and try not to interrupt. It can also be helpful to have a pen and paper handy to take notes and keep track of any questions that come to mind. By being an attentive listener, you show the interviewer that you’re a serious candidate and make sure you don’t miss any important information about the job itself.
- Be honest and direct. Answer questions honestly and confidently, but don’t worry if a question throws you off guard. It can happen no matter how well-prepared you are! It’s fine to take a moment to think before answering or ask for clarification when you need it.
- Follow Up. Many interviewers will conclude by asking if you have any questions, so it’s a good idea to have some ready in case none come to mind during the interview itself. Thank the interviewers for their time – and send them a thank you note the next day to really stand out from the crowd!
By preparing in advance for a job interview, you can increase your chances of success and find the job that’s right for you. To learn about career opportunities at Loretto, visit https://lorettocny.org/about-us/careers/
For more interview tips, download our free guide.