By Dan Bailey, Marketing Intern at Loretto
Nowadays, employers are looking for experience and connections in the business world. Internships are one of the ways a new college graduate can stand out as an applicant during their job hunt. An internship is a temporary work opportunity provided by an organization to students or recent graduates. It is a practical learning experience where individuals can apply their theoretical knowledge in a real-world professional setting. Internships are usually structured, supervised, and focused on providing realistic training and exposure to a specific industry or field. As a rising senior at Le Moyne College, I am spending this summer as an intern on Loretto’s marketing team. As an intern myself, here are some of the benefits and opportunities an internship can provide:
- Practical Experience: Internships offer hands-on experience and allow individuals to gain valuable skills relevant to their field of study or career interest. At my internship, I work on real-world projects that are used to support the marketing efforts at Loretto.
- Industry Exposure: Internships offer an inside look into a particular industry or company. They expose individuals to the work culture, professional expectations, and the organization’s day-to-day operations. Working at Loretto has given me a unique perspective on how a normal business day flows. I’ve also participated in meetings with various departments and agencies, which were interesting to participate in. I enjoyed seeing all of the work that is done behind the scenes. One of the places I went to was Bridge Street at the NewsChannel 9 studio, it was very exciting seeing the process from who’s going on the news and what are they going to say, and then actually seeing them go on T.V.
- Networking Opportunities: Internships provide a platform to build professional networks and establish connections with industry professionals. Interactions with colleagues, supervisors, and mentors allow interns to expand their professional contacts, seek advice, and potentially secure future job opportunities. In my time here, I’ve met many Loretto team members, including Dr. Kimberly Townsend, President and CEO of Loretto.
- Skill Development: Internships help individuals develop a wide range of transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, time management, and organizational skills. Employers highly value these skills and can enhance an individual’s employability in the competitive job market. I’ve also learned how to manage my time to meet certain deadlines, and learning the systems in which we save all of our photos and files to was important to learn because this is how most marketing departments handle this kind of information.
- Resume Enhancement: Having internship experience on a resume can significantly enhance a candidate’s profile. It demonstrates initiative, practical exposure, and a willingness to learn. Having an internship on my resume is very important because it shows that I have experience in the marketing and healthcare fields.
- Personal and Professional Growth: Internships offer a platform for personal and professional growth. They expose individuals to new challenges, encourage self-reflection, and foster the development of critical skills such as adaptability, resilience, and self-confidence. Internships often provide valuable feedback and mentorship, enabling interns to improve and refine their abilities. For me, this internship has made my goals clearer, and it helped to remind me that this is the type of work I’d like to do after college.
- Exploring Career Paths: Internships can help individuals explore different career paths and industries. By experiencing firsthand the work environment and responsibilities of a particular job or field, interns can make more informed decisions about their future career choices. Working at Loretto has shown me how important healthcare workers’ jobs are; I’m happy that I’m a part of an organization that helps not only the residents but the staff as well. For example, one of the many perks of working at Loretto is the diaper bank program, in which new parents can receive free diapers.
My experience so far has been amazing. I am learning many skills to help me further my career path and get real-world marketing experience. Everyone I have met has been nice and helpful. My team encourages questions, so I’m always willing to ask for help when needed. I’m excited to see what else I’ll learn this summer!