How to Celebrate National Senior Citizen’s Day This Year
Since 1988, National Senior Citizen’s Day is celebrated annually on August 21st to recognize the elderly for all that they have achieved and their huge impact on society.
It is important to take a moment to appreciate our seniors. What many people don’t think about is all of the amazing advancements in society which we have our elders to thank for. Seniors make up a huge portion of our population, so we certainly have a lot of history and accomplishments to celebrate on National Senior Citizen’s Day!
Whether you are a senior yourself or a younger person who would like to appreciate your elders, there are many ways you can spend this special day.
For seniors, there are plenty of unique ways to spend the day celebrating you.
- Spend the day reminiscing– Take the time to sit back and think about all that you’ve done and accomplished so far in your life. Whether it’s by journaling, talking to an old friend, or looking through old photo albums, it’s nice to take the time to look back on happy memories.
- Make future plans– At any age, planning some things you have to look forward to in the future is a great way to keep things exciting. Take this day of celebration to buy those concert tickets or book that trip you have been meaning to.
- Share time with your friends and family – A day that’s all about you is the perfect time to get together with the people in your life that you love most. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating yourself!
For younger adults, there are loads of options to make sure the seniors who have brought so much to the world, feel celebrated and cared for on National Senior Citizen’s Day.
- Start a conversation– Give your loved one a call. Have a cup of coffee with your elderly neighbor. It sounds simple, but it can be so meaningful and special to both of you. This day is a perfect time to be curious, ask them about their life and their memories. You might be surprised by just how much you learn.
- Write cards to seniors in care facilities – This is a simple, yet meaningful way, to share your appreciation for seniors and the lives they’ve led.
- Share a homecooked meal with them – Who doesn’t appreciate a homecooked meal? What’s even better is you can take this chance to ask the seniors in your life about their favorite foods and get to know that person just a little bit better.
- Ask them to share photos with you – Many people love to share their past and their favorite memories through photos. It’s a great way to bond with someone and show that you care.
No matter who you are, it’s important to acknowledge and celebrate National Senior Citizen’s Day however you’re able!
At Loretto, we take pride in appreciating our seniors by providing them with the tools to lead fulfilling lives with kindness and care. Learn more about who we are here: https://lorettocny.org/about-us/who-we-are/